We’re going to Death Valley!
There wasn’t enough interest to justify a bus tour, so here’s what we’re doing instead. *I’ll be driving out to the desert, and you’re welcome to join me in your own vehicle. I know enough about the trip to make it interesting, and you’ll see some amazing things in amazing heat!
Thursday, July 16th. Leaving at 8:00 AM
Sunday, July 19th. Leaving at 8:00 AM
Leave Tropicana at 8:00AM.
9:30, roll into Beatty, NV for provisions.
10:00-11:00 Goldwell Open Air Museum and Rhyolite Ghost Town.
11:00-11:30 Head into California and see some unusual vistas and features from the bus.
11:30 Visit the dunes of Stovepipe Wells
12:00 Lunch at the Stovepipe Wells Village
1:00 Head down to Ash Meadows
2:30-3:30 Visit Ash Meadows and Devil’s Hole
5:30 Return to Tropicana
Important things to know:
- This trip is suitable for any vehicle. Most of the roadway is paved, and what isn’t is well maintained.
- I won’t have space in my car to add anyone.
- If you don’t have a car but would like to come, leave a comment here and we’ll try to match folks up.
- The average high temp this time of year is a very dry 96ºF (36ºC) at Stovepipe Wells.
- Temperatures can easily be as high as 120ºF (50ºC).
- This trip is not safe. It’s called Death Valley for a reason.
- You will be required to have water. I’ll check before we leave.
- This has NOTHING to do with TAM or the JREF. You do not need to attend TAM or even know what the JREF is to participate in this tour.
Attendees will receive some College of Curiosity swag, a guide to what we’re seeing, and a chance to see what “dry heat” really means.
If you have space in your car, please let me know! I suggest that all riders kick in a bit to the drivers for gas money.
If you’d like to come or have questions, send me an e-mail at email@example.com. There’s no limit on how many can come, but I need a count so I can print out the right number of guides and swag.